Sunday, October 5, 2014

It was great when it all began I was a regular Frankie fan ..... Thank you Rocky Horror Picture Show for oh so many things!

How about we talk about one of my all-time favorite movies? Rocky Horror Picture Show! This was the movie of my 20’s. I will never forget the first time I heard anything about it. I was introduced to the movies music long before the movie by some long forgotten person. The music was far more memorable to me. I had never heard lyrics like these. I had to go buy myself the cassette tape. Yes, I am aging myself. This was before CDs and digital music.

Before long I could be heard singing such unforgettable songs like Science Fiction Double Feature, Over at the Frankenstein Place and Dammit Janet said something to me. Maybe it was because listening to them maybe felt a little naughty to me. I was in love with the music. This was among the music that I listened to as I cleaned how or I drove my car. Not the best role model my nephew who was two or three also knew all of the words to the songs.

Ryan could be heard singing Dammit Janet when other little kids were singing much more appropriate songs Ryan could sing these songs. Do I feel bad? No I don’t I have a little smile over it. Of course this wasn’t the only music we listened to just what we listened to the most. How well did Ryan know the music one day he told a friend of my sisters and mine “Donnie Burner in just seven days I can make you a man!” The poor guy was non plussed. He had never had an aunt like me. Hahahaha! But, after that Ryan and I listened more to Journey, Boston and such.

When my friend David found out that although I was very familiar with the music but I had never seen the movie he made sure that I did. We first watched a bootleg copy on this tiny little TV and well frankly it didn’t do the movie any favors. But, then as luck would have it one of our local theaters decided to have midnight movies and it was one of the movies they brought in. David and I went and I saw it on the big screen.

When Tim Curry came down the elevator as Frank N Furter dressed in high heels, fishnet stockings, a bustier and garters I was instantly and completely in lust. I am not sure what it was but this man to me was just so hot! The words coming out of his mouth were the same ones I knew by heart but to see it was so different. “How do you do? I see you met my faithful handyman…..” I was sold. I now understood why so many people liked no loved this strange and quirky movie.

Not everybody gets this movie, definitely not everyone gets my attraction when I was younger to Frank. But, I regret nothing. This was my jam and this was my young and not misspent adulthood. I am proud to say that I have passed my love of Rocky Horror Picture Show to my oldest daughter. The other two kids think we are nuts. We probably are. I still know every song by heart and I have watched the movie in the last year. I used to own the DVD because Ryan bought it for me. Such a good nephew!


So, this is my movie and maybe next I will thrill you with my Princess Bride knowledge. It isn’t inconceivable. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment