Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What is your comfort? Is it a southern comfort? Or just a simple book?

Everyone has their own way with dealing with things. We all have those things that are comforts to them. With me it has always been books that comfort me. I love my books and there are certain books for me that are like a comfortable old shoe. When we had the fire one blessing for me was that my Nook survived. Now I know there are a lot of people that poo poo e-readers, not this kid. I don’t know what I would do without mine.

To me reading is a comfort because that has and will always be that one constant in my life. When I was in the hospital in 2007 I was paralyzed on the right side of my body. Books were hard for me to hold. My hand didn’t move and could not hold books very well. The e-readers would have been perfect for me. My nephew Ryan knew that I loved the Harry Potter books went to Barnes and Noble when THE DEATHLY HALLOWS came out and got it for me. I would lay in bed with it propped against my tray so that I could read it. It was too big for me to hold.

I had Scotty go to Barnes and Noble and buy me Tamora Pierce’s books because although they are considered Young Adult books they are my favorites. I have read her set of series in the Tortall universe more times than I can count. They are my go to books. On April 9th I restarted reading them. I read all of the Lioness books, today I finished the Immortals series, and I was going to move on. It was time to start reading something else. Well, I did. I am now reading the Protector of the Small series.

Now this series is about my favorite character Keladry. I guess maybe I am not quite ready to be a grown up again. I need to be in this other world where women can be knights and strong characters. This universe where a woman can be who she chooses to be. I like that. For that I am forever grateful to Ms. Pierce for developing this world where a woman can be a Kings Champion, or a wild mage, or a sympathetic Lady Knight, or a spy.


I will end this now with the thought that I hope that you all have your comfort and I am more than willing to share mine. Books are a great way to travel and be someone or someplace else without ever leaving the room.

2 comments:

  1. Books are a good comfort indeed. You can get lost in them and forget about real world for awhile. Glad your nook survived

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. Thank you so am I. It has been acting a bit wonky lately.

      Delete