Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Heard the singers playin', how we cheered for more. The crowd had rushed together tryin' to keep warm. Still the rain kept pourin', fallin' on my ears And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain. Thank you, John Fogerty


I have spent so much time feeling sorry for myself that I have almost forgot that the rest of the world has problems too. The tornadoes in Oklahoma are horrendous. I sat yesterday looking at the pictures crying. These people lost everything. As Chris Cuomo tweeted yesterday his concern on where all the people would be able to sleep tonight. All of theirs friends lost their homes too.

Our loss was huge to us but it was not nearly as huge as this. These families lost their homes, theirs school, and their places of worship to name a few. The children lost their safe places. The places that they knew they could go to and be secure. These places are important to kids. My heart breaks for them. I cannot even imagine to feel their pain.
I saw photos that tore me up emotionally. I feel spent. I saw a photo of a man holding a child that was not obviously not his. He was hugging him and the look of raw emotion of his face said it all. I sat and cried as I saw it. To me this was one of those photos that stay with you for life. There are other photos like this for me. Growing up near Travis AFB in northern California we saw a lot of photos during the Viet Nam war and after.

The photos of former prisoners of war kissing the ground when they landed. Photos of kids running with looks of love on their faces running to their dads as they came off of the planes. These were the photos of my childhood memories. I still tear up. In life there are these moments. I see them now in the photos of the families in Oklahoma. There are other photos through life but these are the ones I thought of.
I want to leave you with a happy ending to ponder. I saw a video earlier of a faceless reporter talking to an elderly person and peering into her life. The lady was explaining that she had been sitting on a stool holding her beloved dog in her lap. When the tornado hit the stool was lifted in the air. Her house blew apart and she was buried under the debris. She was talking about how she laid there for a while until it was light and she realized that she would be okay. That she was back at the house to try and find her dogs body. The reporter spotted her dog. Her dog had survived the tornado and being buried in the rubble. It was alive. The lady started to cry. She said that the Lord had answered two prayers for her. She had prayed that she would live and she had prayed that the Lord spare her dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment